The Foveran Restaurant’s Roddy Belford has been crowned Orkney MasterChef 2014.
Roddy won the title after a competition staged in the Orkney Theatre on 1st October, going head to head with the Hamnavoe Restaurant’s Sarah Taylor, Hazel Hourston from the Lynnfield Hotel and keen amateur cook Shirley Davies.
Compered by BBC Radio Orkney’s Dave Gray, the sold out event – organised by Orkney Food and Drink - saw each chef prepare a three-course meal within a fully fitted professional kitchen, specially installed in the theatre by competition sponsors Jewson Ltd.
The culinary creations, all made using Orkney produce, were tasted by a panel of judges from the food, drink, tourism and catering sectors, along with some members of the audience, before Roddy’s menu (detailed below) was deemed best of the night.
Starter - Smoked Orkney lobster with seared scallops, nectarine and black rocket salad.
Main course - Rosemount loin of Texel lamb, parsley and garlic crust, wilted spinach, crispy potato, black portent and red currant sauce.
Sweet - Beremeal chocolate fondant, Orkney Dark Island Reserve ice cream, homemade honeycomb.
Roddy, who trained at Orkney College, has worked as a chef at the Foveran for the past seven-and-a-half years. He said: “I can’t quite believe it and it’s not really sunk in yet, but it’s a great honour. Cooking in front of the audience wasn’t too bad. Once I got started I kind of went on autopilot!”
Orkney Food and Drink’s Edgar Balfour said: “The event was a huge success, with all the chefs rising to the challenge of cooking under pressure in front of an enthusiastic capacity crowd. All of the meals produced were absolutely outstanding, but we had to pick a winner and Roddy was a very worthy champion.”
The photograph shows Roddy (centre) with his Orkney MasterChef trophy, flanked by Brian Kynoch (left) from event sponsors Jewson Ltd and Callum MacInnes (right), chair of Orkney Food and Drink. Pic © Colin Keldie. Other pictures from the evening are at: http://bit.ly/1r0FZTD
- Roddy Belford - delighted (and surprised!)
- The Chefs - Sarah Taylor (Hamnavoe); Roddy Belford (Foveran); Shirley Davies (Amateur) and Hazel Hourston (Lynnfield)
- The four Chefs - with the three judges - (L to R) Anne Hill (Orkney College); Callum MacInnes (Orkney Food & Drink) and Kirsty Mainland (Orkney Tourism Group)
- The Judges deliberate over Roddy's starter - it scored well in the end
- The Experts and Audience representatives look on with interest (and a degree of hunger!)
- The audience view of proceedings